[Barcode] Web Frontend

dani@enpl.es dani@enpl.es
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:38:01 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Alessandro Rubini wrote:

> > Yes..  Tell me more about the html form problem. Meanwhile I'll build
> > a "deliverable" version :)
>
> To my (little, very little) knowledge, a CGI gets parameters by either
> a PUT or a GET query. But the parameters must be defined somehow.  So,
> either you put it in the query by hand or need a form that build the
> request for you.
>
> A "GET" URL looks like this:
> 	http://www.linux-mag.com/cgi-bin/atomz?search=rubini
> or like this:
> 	http://store.advantech.com.tw/italy/product.asp?pfid=198&mscssid=4HJEB2J99SU9V9NIE5YXQXJRDJE23U8G
>
> But you usually build the query by clicking in an html form. So is
> there a form or should the user type the hairy query by hand?

   You can do both ways. If you use a browser, the user will always see
the same URL (params=values in the url are not shown to the user). But
you can still do a GET URL using param=value;param2=value2 way.
   I guess the average user will use the HTML form. And "other" users can
see the HTML soruce, looking for the <INPUT TYPE="X" NAME="name">.

--
Dani Pardo, dani@enpl.es
Enplater S.A