[Barcode] Web Frontend

Alessandro Rubini rubini@linux.it
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:12:44 +0100

> Yes..  Tell me more about the html form problem. Meanwhile I'll build
> a "deliverable" version :)

To my (little, very little) knowledge, a CGI gets parameters by either
a PUT or a GET query. But the parameters must be defined somehow.  So,
either you put it in the query by hand or need a form that build the
request for you.

A "GET" URL looks like this:
	http://www.linux-mag.com/cgi-bin/atomz?search=rubini
or like this:
	http://store.advantech.com.tw/italy/product.asp?pfid=198&mscssid=4HJEB2J99SU9V9NIE5YXQXJRDJE23U8G

But you usually build the query by clicking in an html form. So is
there a form or should the user type the hairy query by hand?

(BTW: I *love* avoiding forms. That's how my "translate" script works,
for example: it builds a query for babelfish and prints results on
stdout; but I am not a typical user).

Note: don't ask for the translator script, is not yet finished, but that's
how I validate my html pages:

	url=`echo $1 | sed 's/:/%3A/g; s,/,%2F,g'`

	LINK="sylly-link-for-lynx-which-is-a-crappy-tool-not-using-stdin.html"
	ln -s /dev/stdin ./$LINK
	echo "chekcing $1 ($url)" > /dev/stderr
	echo -e "GET http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=$url HTTP/1.0\n" | \
		nc validator.w3.org 80 | lynx -dump $LINK
	rm $LINK

/alessandro