[Barcode] PCL OUTPUT

Andrea Scopece barcode@lists.prosa.it
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:32:35 +0200

Hi all,

I started work for PCL OUTPUT, I need this feature.

This is very simple, except for one things:
PCL coordinates starts on top-left margins of page,
while PS/EPS starts on bottom-left margings of page.

If anyone would use 'gnu/barcode' library for PCL output,
probably would like to use PCL coordinates system.
Following this way, page size is irrelevant,
and also programmers deal with choosed OUTPUT coordinates.

(Instead, using PS coordinates system, even if PCL output,
give disvantage to programmers that should manually deal
with PCL->PS coordinates conversion and also require library
to know page size for re-conversion PS->PCL of coordinates.
So I think this idea of portability should be deleted.).

So, idea is that programmers should use COORDS related
to required output.

For the 'frontend' (command line 'barcode'), a new option (-L ?)
may give PCL output as far as deal with PCL coordinates system,
and another options (-C ?) used in conjunctions  with PCL output
that may deal with PS/EPS coordinates.
So 'files' of barcode definitions may easily switched
from one output to another.

Another question:
HP PCL refers to Printers Point as exactly 1/72 of inch
opposed to "typographical point" that is approximatively 1/72 of inch.
Anyone know how exactly is a 'postscript point' ?

PCL is a family of 'printer command languages',
released from HP primarly for their products,
but largely adopted from various Laser printers manufacturer.
(and also some ink jet printers).
PCL1 and PCL2 are very older.
PCL3 was introduced for LaserJet II,
PCL4, offers much more functionality
PCL5, and PCL6 includes HP/GL2 (plotter) interpreter

My goal is deal with a large numbers of printers, so I think
to go with a PCL3 compatibility (if possible).

Any comment would be appreciated.

Andrea Scopece