[barcode] Solaris9, build fails -> patch offered.

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs@dmu.ac.uk
Mon Apr 5 11:29:33 CEST 2004

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Alessandro Rubini wrote:

> > code128.c:219: warning: subscript has type `char'
> > code128.c:219: warning: subscript has type `char'
> > code128.c: In function `Barcode_128_encode':
> > code128.c:467: warning: subscript has type `char'
>
> Ok, I converted all text strings to  "unsigned char". Thanks.

Thanks.

> > awk -f doc/manpager doc/doc.barcode
> > awk: syntax error near line 23

that's

                { gsub("^%M ?",""); }

I can't see anything wrong with that...

http://www.vectorsite.net/tsawk3.html#m4

would seem to suggest that gsub is not valid in awk, only nawk...

> Actually, I had two students studying compatibility issues
> across the various awk flavours, but I didn't manage to integrate
> their results into a portable doc/manpager.
>
> I applied your patch, which looks a good step forward to me (independently of
> making the tool portable).
>
> However, currently on my system mawk is selected, and it produces

Yes, I've had problems with nawk in other cases.  Hard to tell what
is wrong, because of the lack of diagnostics from it.

> an incorrect man page (original-awk and gawk produce correct ones,
> mawk and nawk do not; gawk spits a warning, the other ones do not).

I didn't notice a warning from gawk....

OH, I see this:

gawk -f doc/manpager doc/doc.barcode
gawk: doc/manpager:35: warning: escape sequence `\{' treated as plain `{'
gawk: doc/manpager:36: warning: escape sequence `\}' treated as plain `}'

The offending iine is:
gsub("@b\{","\\fB");

I don't know enough about the source format to comment further....
> This is what I get in configure:
> 	for ac_prog in mawk gawk nawk awk; [...]
for ac_prog in gawk mawk nawk awk

on my system.
> while the documentation states:
> 	Check for `gawk', `mawk', `nawk', and `awk', in that order,

which seems to be right for me.  Which autoconf do you have?

autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.58
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

> This is the type of incorrectness: no blanks in indented paragraphs.
>
>        -i filename
>               Identifyafilewherestringstobeencodedarereadfrom.If
>               missing(andif-bisnotused)itdefaultstostandard
>               input.Eachdatalineoftheinputfilewillbeusedtocreate
>               onebarcodeoutput.

Can you show me the relevant bit of source?  maybe we can raise this
as a bug with sun?

> Thus, I must recover my students' work now :)
>
> Thanks
> /alessandro

        Hugh