[barcode] Solaris9, build fails -> patch offered.

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs@dmu.ac.uk
Tue Apr 6 11:42:39 CEST 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Alessandro Rubini wrote:

> [I'm replying to all three in one message]
>
> > http://www.vectorsite.net/tsawk3.html#m4
> > would seem to suggest that gsub is not valid in awk, only nawk...
>
> I committed a change and now it works with no differences with
> all of nawk mawk gawk and original-awk (as of debian woody).

Excellent!

> > gawk: doc/manpager:35: warning: escape sequence `\{' treated as plain `{'
> > gawk: doc/manpager:36: warning: escape sequence `\}' treated as plain `}'
> >
> > The offending iine is:
> > gsub("@b\{","\\fB");
> >
> > I don't know enough about the source format to comment further....
>
> Changing to
> 	gsub(/@b\{/,"\\fB");
> fixed it.

Interesting.

> > autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.58
>
> Mine is by default the older 2.13, as debian chooses.

2.59 seems to be out now as well, FYI.

> >> This is the type of incorrectness: no blanks in indented paragraphs.
> >>
> >>        -i filename
> >>               Identifyafilewherestringstobeencodedarereadfrom.If
> >
> > Can you show me the relevant bit of source?  maybe we can raise this
> > as a bug with sun?
>
> This is just a gsub with an anchored substitution to replate leading
> blank spaces. Probably some awk flavours ignore anchors (here "^")
> in _g_sub. Changed to "sub" as suggested by Daniele Pala and
> Sirio Pasquini some time ago, and it's fixed now.

OK, I won't follow this up for now, in that case.

> > What's mawk to Solaris anyway? Let's see:
> >
> > no mawk in /bin /usr/bin [...]
>
> Well, I am not concerned about Solaris in particular but about portability

Agreed, but it is pretty common.  Maybe it is MKS toolkit's awk? I
don't know.

> in general. Unfortunately my HP test drive expired, so I couldn't try
> their stuff (which is pretty bad, usually).

I may be able to do that, but it's not on a system I admin, so I
can't install anything.

> > I noticed I forgot to patch doc/Makefile.  How's this?
>
> Fine. Applied.

Thank you.  Do I need to get access to some anon CVS to see this,
or will you be releasing 0.99 shortly?  I grabbed the tar.gz from
the gnu mirror....

> /alessandro

        Thank you
        Hugh