[barcode] BARCODE PROBLEM

Franz Zahaurek fzk@member.fsf.org
Sun Jun 20 12:21:45 CEST 2004

Hi Zeljko,

Zeljko Hrebak writes:

> hy!!
>
>> I downloaded program barcode and tryed to generate barcode on
>> file. I wrote in file 3850197106651 and then tried to encode this
>> file nad print on HP Laser Jet 690 but didn't work. The printer
>> printed only that numbers but not the black and white bars. What i
>> did it wrong??

I suppose you mean DeskJet.

I took a look at the generated PCL-file and found, that it doesn't
start with reset (<ESC> e).  So your printer driver needs to send it.

> i wrote this: barcode -P -n -i BARCODE -o BARCODEOUTPUT
> a than i tried lp -d printer_name BARCODEOUTPUT
> in file BARCODE where numbers 3850197106651
>
> if a remove -P then me printer prints unknown device: pcl3

I suppose this is a message from ghostscript.

To print your barcodes on a deskjet/any printer better generate the
usual PS-file and afterwords convert to the desired
printer-format.  Try:

barcode -i BARCODE -o BARCODE.ps
gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=deskjet -sOutputFile=BARCODE.pcl -q -dBATCH BARCODE.ps
lp -d printer_name BARCODE.pcl

You can get a list of available output-DEVICES with gs -h.

- Franz
--
Franz Zahaurek                          fzk@member.fsf.org
Vienna, Austria, Europe                 http://www.fzk.at