[barcode] Telepen codes.

Alessandro Rubini rubini@gnudd.com
Sat Oct 9 23:40:10 CEST 2004

Hello.

> May I suggest support for the telepen code as used by UK academic
> libraries, among others?  A search of the archives suggests that you
> consider the spec to be inadequate, but there did not seem to be a
> reference to this document directly:
>
> http://www.telepen-barcode.co.uk/images/downloads/BarcodeSymbology.pdf

I'm getting it now, hoping to have some time for barcode soon.

> I think that I can't contribute to this because I have seen perl
> code that implements it, and it is not GPL code, so it would not be
> black box development.

Usually it's not a matter of being completely unaware of other code.
Unless you singed your mindshare away (like some vendors require before
showing the code).  If that code was only under a copyright license (no
contract explicitly signed by you or your employer, I mean), then you
can reimplement things yourself, as long as they are not copied.
Given the framework of GNU barcode (the intermediate encoding and so on)
I doubt that your port would be a plain copy.

>  Is that a misunderstanding?  If it is, I can
> point to where this perl was found, if that helps.

Yes that would be interesting. Thanks
/alessandro