[barcode] change to LGPL possible ?

Andreas Becker seltsamuel@yahoo.de
Sat Nov 5 18:28:42 CET 2005

Dear Alessandro Rubini,

im working on a commercial programm that needs to
print
as a sideeffect Barcodes mainly in code128 EPS. As i
read in an other Posting you are not unwilling to
change GNU Barcode to LGPL. As i see you and Andrea
Scopece are the Main Programmers on this Project so
own the most code of it. With GNU Barcode under the
GPL im not able to use it
even it fits my needs perfectly (i only need a little
piece of it). I see many other People having the same
Problem and there is really no other project that
fills the space of generating Barcodes (as Lib).
I know the Problem is to get the accept of the other
coders (copyrightholders) but other Projects do it
like this:
Announce the change of the License for next Release
on the Homepage and give the People the chance to
give their veto in the Time of maybe 4 weeks.
When there is no Veto take it as an Accept to change
the License to LGPL. I think this is the only and only
right way how it could be done.

When you think there is no way to change to LGPL my
only possibility is to write my own Barcodelib and
reinvent the Wheel again :-).

PS: you all did a good job on GNU Barcode.

Seltsamuel
In hope of a positive answer