[bglug] Fw: kernel.org: Extended downtime announcement

Al bglug@lists.linux.it
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 07:54:29 +0100

Cosi' scrisse Al <al@bglug.it>:

------------------------
Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:42:28 -0800
From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
To: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
Cc: ftpadmin@kernel.org
Subject: Re: kernel.org: Extended downtime announcement

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> In order to make the best use of available space, we will unfortunately
> have to reconfigure the RAID arrays on the main kernel.org server.  This
> will result in extended downtime for all kernel.org services, starting
> at 16:00 PST/24:00 UTC this evening, March 17, 2003.  For
> ftp/www/rsync/filehub.kernel.org, this downtime should be in the
> ballpark of 2-3 hours; with luck less; for mirrors.kernel.org, this
> downtime is expected to be 3-4 days.  Services will be phased in as they
> become available, so if you get a "connection refused" from one service
> other services might still be operational.

OK, so I'm an idiot.

The correct downtime estimate is about 6-7 hours.  This is a matter of
simple arithmetric, but somehow I never bothered to actually calculate
it out.

Just to be on the safe side I'm going to estimate kernel.org being back
up around 00:00 PST/08:00 UTC.

Duh.

	-hpa

End of forwarded message

Al 8)

--

If you wrap the Internet around every person on the planet and spin the
planet, software flows in the network. [...] The resistance of the net-