[Flug] MPAA/DeCSS/2600

Christopher R. Gabriel cgabriel@mixadlive.com
Mer 26 Lug 2000 17:26:12 CEST

Da /.

"According to this New York Times (reg. required) article, the MPAA
v. 2600 trial in New York has ended. Judge Kaplan indicated that he
was likely to declare the DeCSS code as a form of expressive content,
"a distinction that may help bring it First Amendment protection." No
matter who wins, this case is likely to end up in the Supreme
Court. Hopefully 2600 will win this round because I can only imagine
the very truthful press releases the MPAA will be pouring out if they
win. From the article: The judge said he was impressed by David
Touretzky, a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon University
in Pittsburgh, who testified that the case raises ``very serious
concerns about the future of computer science and my ability to
function as a computer scientist.''."

--
                                         Christopher