[FoLUG] Fwd: PR: GNOME and KDE to co-host the Linux App Summit in November

Andrea Marchini andrea@canaglie.net
Gio 1 Ago 2019 13:48:54 CEST

Inoltro per conoscenza.
Andrea Marchini

--
Inviato dal mio smartphone con K-9 Mail. Perdonate la brevità.

-------- Messaggio originale --------
Da: Paul Brown <paul.brown@kde.org>
Inviato il: 31 luglio 2019 23:43:49 EEST
A: kde-announce@kde.org
Oggetto: PR: GNOME and KDE to co-host the Linux App Summit in November

For Immediate Release

The GNOME Foundation and KDE e.V. are proud to announce Linux App Summit 2019.
The Linux App Summit (LAS) will be held in Barcelona from November 12th to
15th, 2019.

 https://linuxappsummit.org/

LAS is the first collaborative event co-hosted by the two organizations since
the Desktop Summit in 2009. Both organizations are eager to bring their
communities together in building an application ecosystem that transcends
individual distros and broadens the market for everyone involved.

KDE and GNOME will no longer be taking a passive role in the free desktop
sector. With the joint influence of the two desktop projects, LAS will shepherd
the growth of the FOSS desktop by encouraging the creation of quality
applications, seeking opportunities for compensation for FOSS developers, and
fostering a vibrant market for the Linux operating system.

GNOME's executive director, Neil McGovern says, "LAS represents one of many
steps towards a thriving desktop ecosystem. By partnering with KDE we show the
desire  to build the kind of application ecosystem that demonstrates that Open
Source and Free Software are important; the technology and organization we
build to achieve this is valuable and necessary.", LAS will be the
intersection where application developers, designers, user and kernel space
engineers work together in building an environment that aims to create a new
market for applications on Linux.

"Over the years we have built great solutions that millions of people use
around the world. It's been when we have worked together that we have managed
to become bigger than the sum of the parts. Together with GNOME, counting with
the collaboration of many distributions and application developers, we'll have
the opportunity to work side by side, share our perspectives and offer the
platform that the next generation of solutions will be built on.", Aleix Pol
Gonzalez, KDE e.V Vice-President says about the inaugural effort about LAS.

As the first conference of its kind, the themes LAS will be centered around
will be growing the application ecosystem for Linux as well as providing a
platform for others to share ideas and technology. With that in mind, the
topics we are interested in are:

* Creating, packaging, and distributing applications
* Design and usability
* Commercialization
* Community / Legal
* Platform
* Linux App Ecosystem

The CfP starts today and ends on August 31st.  You may submit your talk ideas
at https://linuxappsummit.org/cfp/.

"I am excited to see GNOME and KDE working together on LAS, and I believe that
the event will help lay down strong foundations for collaborative cross-
project development that would benefit Linux users across all distributions and
on any compatible device. I hope to see widespread community support for the
event and, as a user, I look forward to reaping the benefits of the seeds that
have now been sown." - Christel Dahlskjaer, Private Internet Access and
freenode Project Lead.

We look forward to seeing all of you in Barcelona and building the app
ecosystem together! For more information about LAS, please visit - https://
linuxappsummit.org/.

About KDE e.V

The KDE® Community is a free software community dedicated to creating an open
and user-friendly computing experience, offering an advanced graphical desktop,
a wide variety of applications for communication, work, education and
entertainment and a platform of libraries and frameworks that helps developers
easily build new applications. We have a strong focus on finding innovative
solutions to old and new problems, creating a dynamic atmosphere open for
experimentation. Find out more about KDE at https://kde.org

About GNOME Foundation

The GNOME Foundation is an organization committed to supporting the
advancement of GNOME, comprised of hundreds of volunteer developers and
industry-leading companies. The Foundation is a member directed, 501(c)(3)
non-profit organization that provides financial, organizational, and legal
support to the GNOME project. The GNOME Foundation is supporting the pursuit
of software freedom through the innovative, accessible, and beautiful user
experience created by GNOME contributors around the world. More information
about GNOME and the GNOME Foundation can be found at www.gnome.org and
foundation.gnome.org. Become a friend of GNOME at https://www.gnome.org/
friends/
--