[Gpm] p logitec having short freezes & future of gpm

Alessandro Rubini gpm@lists.prosa.it
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:34:12 +0200

>> I don't know what kind of configuration this is. This is one of the
>> configuration-specific stuff that we've never been told about.

sorry, I meant distribution-specific.

> I can really only very heartly recommend you to try out the wheel under X.
> It's *very* nice. Scrolling through windows, especially scrolling back
> through terminal history to find stuff or scrolling through HTML pages is
> really *very, very* convenient. Try it out!

Oh, but I almost never use the mouse under X. Scroll-back is shift-pgup
and shift-pgdwn (standard xterm keybindings) and for everything else
I configured my keyboard to do what I need :)

>> There's nothing available, to my knowledge. Input management is being
>> centralized in the kernel, and a gpm is available to use the input
>> mechanism to gather input (I didn't yet publish it, my fault).
>
> I'd beta test for you if you want. Just send me the URL.

I just need to publish the patch. I was sent to this list.

> Yes, but I'm often switching between X and console, especially on my
> laptop, where X is slow. And I need the mouse for copy-pasting in both.

If you don't repeat, gpm will close the mouse device when the current
tty is in graphics mode. It has been doing this since version 0.01
(repeasing was added later, as of 0.95 or so). So no problem: you run
a simple protocol on text mode (as most new protocols are supersets of
ms or ps2), and then you run whatever protocol you want in X, with
direct mouse access.

> So I'd be nice to have it. What about the idea of using X's mouse
> interaction facilities from gpm?

Sorry, I don't understand.

> But you are involved it prosa.it anyway and having two jobs at once
> seems not to be what you are seeking or am I interpreting this
> wrong?

I'm a free lance. I was a co-founder of prosa.it in 1998, then I left
when linuxcare bought it all. We are still friends and cooperate, but
I work on my own. All I write is free software, but I can't do gpm
maintainance any more.

> Btw. I checked your site but there seem to be only patches for 1.19.2?

Hmm... I'll check, thanks for noting.

/alessandro