[gpm]Re: gpm 1.19.5

Gabor Z. Papp gzp@gmx.net
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 22:49:56 +0200

* Nico Schottelius <nicos@pcsystems.de>:

| gpm -t synps2 ... -> works fine.
| gpm -t ps2 ... (after the synps2) or
| startx  -> both times the mouse is screwed up.

Here no diff between imps2 and exps2, both fails when gpm
started for first time after boot. After starting X, gpm
works fine with both protocol,

| > When I start X, gpm start
| > working nicely, and everytime
|
| So at you X seems to re-init the mouse fine.

yes, exactly.

| > I restart it and trying to reproduce the bug, no way to do it,
| > everything ok.
|
| Can you report more informations ?
|
| - exactly what you did (command lines) and what happened
| - what protocol you use in X
| - what mouse

Sure, here it comes. I have a new problem also, so I think
the type of the motherboard also important. :-P
Its an ASUS CUBX-E mobo BX chipset.

Genius NetScroll+ Eye Optical PS/2
Genius NetScroll+ Eye Optical USB via PS/2
Genius NetScroll+ PS/2

Commandline for gpm is as simpley as gpm -m /dev/psaux -t imps2 | exps2

X works fine with the NetMousePS/2 protocol. Also scrolling
with the wheel.

So I think there is an 'init' like function that called by X
but not used by gpm and the uninitialized mouse produces odd
results with gpm.

I have a separated problem with the same mouse types on
different motherboard, especially on ASUS TUSL2-C.

Its not gpm problem, but maybe someone had similair problem
and can help me. I use extra 2m long ps2 cable for the
mices. All earlier motherboards with these extra cables were ok,
without any problem. This new motherboard seems so energy
save that the voltage is not enough to drive the mouse. I'm
just guessing, I don't know. The mouse seems ok when I plug
with the extra cable into the mobo, optical infrared ray
show, and powerup on ps2 activity also works, the pc boot
up when pressing left button of mouse. But after the post
seems like the mouse is invisible for the motherboard.

X freezes, and killing the screen and switching back to
console is available only via a network session. After
starting gpm the console freezes, and every keyboard press
buffered somewhere. When I kill gpm via network from another
host, the buffer printed on the actual screen and everything
works fine. I think the only one gpm related part of this
problem is to fail when the device not availabe and don't
block the keyboard control. Since X also freezes, I think it
is motherboard related, because the same mouse works fine
without the extra 2m ps2 cable. Tried with 1.4m cable also,
for first it was ok, then the same freezes again. When I use
the 2m cable for the keyboard, its ok. So it isn't cable and
isn't mouse problem, its something mobo related and I'm not
sure how to resolve it. gpm debug and incerasing verbosity
level doesn't show any output.

When someone had similair problem while using extra cables,
or have further ideas how to debug/solve the problem, please
CC. Thanks.