gpm 1.19.4 - SEGV in Gpm_Open()

Alessandro Rubini rubini@gnu.org
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:18:38 +0200

gpm@prosa points to gpm@lists.linux.it (to allow a smooth transition).

> non-localt terminal ? Do you want to use gpm via ssh ?

Yes. If a program is linked with libgpm, it will run under any
condition.  "mc" is (or at least was) linked to libgpm. Do you really
want it to *not* run at all when you invoke it via ssh?

Also, please remember that you may not have a tty at all (like a
program is invoked via cron or otherwise. I read web pages running
"lynx -dump" invoked by sendmail via /etc/aliases. I definitely do not
want lynx to exit(1) because there is no tty available.

Shortly, ___a_library_function_should_never_ever_call_exit____ (I said :)

> It now oops, if not /dev/tty0 and /dev/vc/0 do not exist. If that's
> the case we are on a non Linux system.

No, no, no. Even if few people use it (if any), gpm can run under
xterm as well. You may want to link libgpm on a non-linux system just
to exploit the xterm code. What's wrong in returning an error code and
leaving the choice to the caller?

/alessandro