gpm 1.19.4 - SEGV in Gpm_Open()

Nico Schottelius nicos@pcsystems.de
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:27:07 +0200

> > non-localt terminal ? Do you want to use gpm via ssh ?
>
> Yes.

/the current maintainer is again surprised by gpm's possibilities.

> If a program is linked with libgpm, it will run under any
> condition.  "mc" is (or at least was) linked to libgpm. Do you really
> want it to *not* run at all when you invoke it via ssh?

no.

> Also, please remember that you may not have a tty at all (like a
> program is invoked via cron or otherwise. I read web pages running
> "lynx -dump" invoked by sendmail via /etc/aliases. I definitely do not
> want lynx to exit(1) because there is no tty available.

okay.

> Shortly, ___a_library_function_should_never_ever_call_exit____ (I said :)

okay. it returns 0 in case there is nothing found. it returns 1 if it is
fine.

liblow.c reacts the following way now:

   if(!set_devfs(check_devfs(),&consolename,&vcname)) goto err;

This is no good (because of the goto), but it's used in liblow many times.
Later gotos will be removed, but for now it's okay.

Is that okay ? The problem is in fact, that if set_devfs fails,
no consolename nor the vcname is set.

> > It now oops, if not /dev/tty0 and /dev/vc/0 do not exist. If that's
> > the case we are on a non Linux system.
>
> No, no, no. Even if few people use it (if any), gpm can run under
> xterm as well. You may want to link libgpm on a non-linux system just
> to exploit the xterm code. What's wrong in returning an error code and
> leaving the choice to the caller?

okay.

Is it fine like you found it above ?

Nico