[Gpm] Re: toshiba tecra mouse question

Andrew Pimlott andrew@pimlott.ne.mediaone.net
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:18:49 -0400

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 12:12:23AM -0500, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
[ Replying to an ancient message once more. ]

I'm happy to say that gpm 1.19.5 is the first gpm I've tried that
reliably supports the "scroll buttons" on my Toshiba Tecra 8100.  It
acts as an IMPS/2 mouse (the scroll buttons map to wheel up and
wheel down), but the gpm initialization sequence to switch from PS/2
to IMPS/2 wouldn't "take" reliably in the past.  (Fortunately, it
worked one in ten or so tries, so I had a workaround.)

I discovered that the critical difference is the write_to_mouse
function, which reads an acknowledgement byte for every byte written
to the mouse.  Seems my mouse is picky about these acknowledgements.

Thanks to whoever made this change (Steve Bennett?).

Andrew