[gpm] GPM Problems - more information

Troy Schultz tschultz@canada.com
04 Apr 2002 16:38:16 -0500

I checked the synaptics web site and they don't seem to show many of
their OEM devices.  The touchpad is built-in a Compaq Presario 2710
notebook.  Also the 4-way scroll key I have only seen on the Compaq
notebooks.  Under Windows, with the synpatics drivers, it allows window
scrolling in all 4 directions, horizontal and vertical.

Here is a link to the spec sheet on the notebook from Compaq's web site.
http://www.compaq.ca/English/home/notebooks/2700/PDF/2710CAE.pdf

I have tried running gpm using the ps2 protocol and still have the same
problems when switching between console and X.  Also using the -D
options does not seem to change the behavior in any way.  If I use
<CTRL><ALT><F1> from X to change to a console screen everything is fine
until I try to return to X using <CTRL><ALT><F7>.  After this, X starts
to redraw the screen and then seems to hang, and constantly consumes 99%
of CPU.

You asked if I can do any SysReq and I can't do anything from the
notebook when this happens.  I am able to ssh into the notebook from an
external computer and can still do many things, but the only way I have
found to get X running properly again is to restart the computer.  If I
try to force a new startX I get an error indicating that there is
already a server running on display 0.

I will try things with the debug information in GPM and let you know
what happens.

I went back through my logs and here is what was being dumped to
/var/log/messages when the mouse stopped responding after a screen
saver;

Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: tossing PS/2 data:
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 08
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: AA
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 55
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: C0
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: tossing PS/2 data:
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 03
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: AA
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 55
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: C0
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: tossing PS/2 data:
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: AA
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 55
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: C0
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: tossing PS/2 data:
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 28
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: AA
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 55
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: C0
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: tossing PS/2 data:
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 03
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: AA
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 55
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: C0
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 00
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: tossing PS/2 data:
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: FF
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 28
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 04
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: FD
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 28
Mar 30 17:49:19 p2710 gpm[1036]: 04

If you want to review some of the information I have gathered so far
from my notebook it can be found on my personal web site at
http://www.schultzcentral.org/notebook/notebook.html

Best Regards
- Troy Schultz