[gpm] GPM Problems - more information

Peter Berg Larsen pebl@math.ku.dk
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 03:22:57 +0200 (MET DST)

On 4 Apr 2002, Troy Schultz wrote:

> I have tried running gpm using the ps2 protocol and still have the same
> problems when switching between console and X.  Also using the -D
> options does not seem to change the behavior in any way.

Good (or bad) then it is probably not related to synaptic pad. Do you have
access to an external mouse? What happens if you use that?

> I am able to ssh into the notebook from an external computer and can
> still do many things, but the only way I have found to get X running
> properly again is to restart the computer.

Does this mean you can kill X, but it does not help?

> If I try to force a new startX I get an error indicating that there is
> already a server running on display 0.

Yes, try startx -- :1, this will start on display 1 (at ctrl-alt-f8).

> I went back through my logs and here is what was being dumped to
> /var/log/messages when the mouse stopped responding after a screen
> saver;

> 08 AA 55 C0 00 00 03 AA 55 C0 00 00 00 AA 55 C0 00 00 28 AA 55 C0

hmm, hmm. This is not from any protocol I know.

> If you want to review some of the information I have gathered so far
> from my notebook it can be found on my personal web site at
> http://www.schultzcentral.org/notebook/notebook.html

Does the 4-way button work with the patch? when using the button is
pressure then reported as 0? how about fingersize?

Peter