[gpm]gpm-microtouch-setup crash

Roger Shaffer Jr. rashaffer@sprintmail.com
08 Apr 2002 00:23:09 -0500

Hi there,

I'm trying to configure a 4-pin Serial Microtouch touchscreen in
Debian.  I didn't meet with much success using the native X drivers, so
I thought I would try gpm, especially since there seemed to be a nice
calibration program.
After trying many different configurations of XF86Config-4 and gpm, with
no success, I downloaded gpmsumma_drv.o and placed it in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input.
Next, I configured XF86Config-4 as:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "gpmsumma"
    Option      "Type"          "finger"
    Option      "Device"        "/dev/gpmdata"
    Option      "Mode"          "Absolute"
    Option      "Cursor"        "Puck"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
EndSection

with gpm set with 'gpm -Rsumma -t mtouch -m /dev/ttyS0'

I can get movement with the touchscreen in both the console and
Xwindows, but when I run gpm-microtouch-setup to calibrate in X, it
makes it through the first two steps to create the red crosses, but then
gpm psuedo-crashes.  It stops responding and even stopping and
restarting the daemon will not restore it.  Only a full reboot will
bring gpm back online.

As a side note, I am running X on a LCD display with a counter clockwise
90 degree rotation.

Thanks for your help,

Rog