[gpm]Synaptics Touchpad

Gunnar Wagenknecht (gpm) gpm@Planet-Wagenknecht.de
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:14:07 +0200

Hi!

I've read through the archive and found some problem reports from Troy
Schultz. I experienced similar problems.

My configuration:
- Compaq Presario Notebook 2700GR
- ATI Readon Mobility, 32MB
- P III mobile 1066 MHz, 20GB HD, 256 MB RAM
- Synaptics Touchpad with 4D scroll button (Firmware 5.8 reported by
gpm)
- Redhat 7.2
- XFree 4.2.0
- Kernel 2.4.18 with ACPI patches.

When using RedHat default configuration (gpm 1.9x.x, touchpad configured
as ps/2 device /dev/psaux for gpm and X) I experienced the following
problems.

The touchpad works well under X _OR_ on the console. Problems starting
when switching between console and X. A switch from X to console is ok
but when switching back from console to X, the touchpad starts working
abnormal. I can only move from bottom left to top right but it is
normaly not possibly to reach the top right position because you have to
move very carfully. As soon as moving to another direction, the pointer
is reseted to bottom left screen position. I have to kill the X session
via <Strg><Alt><Backspace> to get the touchpad back working normal.

After some reading I decided to switch to gpm 1.20 but the problem still
exists.

So I configured gpm to start using "-t synps2" and X to use
"/dev/gpmdate" but I didn't get a useful result. While testing I got the
same hanging system one time like Troy reported, but I had not network
interface active so the only possibiliy was a hard power off.

I can't use gpm with the synaptics driver because mouse movement on the
console and in X is very strange. I really can't use it because it seems
to be "hyper" sensitive. I got a funny observation on the console. I can
move the mouse pointer normally when I place on finger on the touchpad
and keep it there while moving the pointer _CAREFULLY_ with a second
finger. But I have no chance to get a good movement in X. As soon as I
try a movement (even a very slow and carefully movement) the pointer
jumps around the lower left section of my screen and does wild clicking
somewhere.

Any ideas?

Cu, Gunnar