[gpm]Synaptics Touchpad

Troy Schultz tschultz@canada.com
11 Apr 2002 06:41:46 -0400

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 02:14, Gunnar Wagenknecht (gpm) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've read through the archive and found some problem reports from Troy
> Schultz. I experienced similar problems.
>
> My configuration:
> - Compaq Presario Notebook 2700GR
> - ATI Readon Mobility, 32MB
> - P III mobile 1066 MHz, 20GB HD, 256 MB RAM
> - Synaptics Touchpad with 4D scroll button (Firmware 5.8 reported by
> gpm)
> - Redhat 7.2
> - XFree 4.2.0
> - Kernel 2.4.18 with ACPI patches.

My Presario 2710 is running Kernel 2.4.17 and ACPI patches 20020225,
also my video memory is only 16MB.  Expect for some minot differences
are systems should be almost the same.

I now have things on my system quite stable including the use of gpm.  I
have no more problems with switch consoles and my touchpad seems very
stable.

I recently found that my problems with X hanging after switching
consoles was caused by a conflict between ACPI and agpgart support in
the kernel.  I removed the agpgart support and recompiled the kernel and
everything is fine.  I really did not need the agpgart since I don't do
much 3D stuff on my notebook and I would rather have a stable mouse and
keyboard.

What version of the ACPI patches are you running?  Have you made any
changes to correct for problems with the ACPI Bios (DSDT) in your
system?

If at all possible please email me a copy of your dmesg output.  I will
try to help resolve the problems.