[gpm]Mouse and then keyboard locking up

Chris Schwemmer chris.schwemmer@t-online.de
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:48:04 +0200

I just finished with a complete install of a Linux from Scratch system
using gcc 3.2, glibc 2.5, kernel 2.4.19, binutils 2.13 and bash 2.05a
running on an Athlon TB 1000 MHz, Asus A7V mainboard (VIA KT133
chipset), 384 MByte RAM. Now I noticed that when I use GPM and I press
Numlock, then the mouse (PS/2 made by Logitech, 3 buttons, 3rd button is
a wheel) stops working (the cursor disappears). When I kill GPM and
start it again (-m /dev/psaux -t ps2), the keyboard stops working too.
The log shows kernel messages saying 'unrecognized scancode (70),
ignoring' or sometimes 'timeout - no AT keyboard connected?'. When I use
the imps2 protocol, keyboard and mouse stop working as soon as I start
GPM for the first time, but now the keyboard produces wierd characters
on screen. This also happens in X when GPM is not running and in X when
GPM is in repeater mode.
I already tried kernel 2.4.18, disabling APM, changing device
permissions, using other PS/2 mice and using another gpm binary from a
system where it works. I checked the archives of this list and the
kernel mailing list archives, and although there seemed to be similar
problems in the past, I found no fix for my problem.
When I boot from a KNOPPIX cd everything works, I can use both GPM and X
without any problems. The Linux I had before on this PC worked ok, too,
so the hardware is alright...
Any suggestions? I need this system asap for work... this ain't funny
anymore...

Chris