[gpm]Problems using synps2 ... Patch

Rich Griswold griswold@acm.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:10:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Peter Berg Larsen wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Rich Griswold wrote:
>
> > I applied the patch and added two zeros to usleep() in
> > tp_ps2_send_reset(), but I still see the same problems:
> >
> >   o "Unrecognized Synaptic PS/2 Touchpad packet" messages.  I have
> >     another log with these error messages.  All debug options are
> >     defined in synaptics.c.  Log is at
> >
> >     http://www.k-lug.org/~griswold/gpm/gpm-debug.error
>
> I miss the info messages in your lists. (You need to start with -D and
> have debug options in synaptics.c turn on when compiled etc). I
> especially would like to know the cabapiliteties and sensor number.

For some reason, all of the messages weren't captured when I piped gpm's
output to tee or redirected it to a file.  I tried using '|&' and '>&' in
tcsh and '2>&1 |' and '2>&1 >' in bash, but I always lose some of the
output.  I finally set console to 'stdout' for all GPM_RUN_DEBUG cases in
report.c and recompiled.  After that I was able to get all of the output.
I've put the new output files at http://www.k-lug.org/~griswold/gpm/.

> The trouble is that the synaptivs packets are getting out of sync with
> 3 bytes. This happens after a >>gpm.c (358): error in protocol<<. Why
> it does that I dont know. A typical packet is 80 00 00 C0 00 00, which
> is sent when nothing is touched.
>
> But the initialization also wonders me: repeating 08 04 00 08 04 00 08
> 06 00 08 0A 00. (I need some debug info messages that tells whether
> bytes are discarted.). In the second list some packets are reported as
> 90 90 90 90 90 90!? hmm. You seems to have a noisy line or a second
> device sending packets on the aux. Try making the usleep argument
> higher in tp_ps2_disable_data. Which kernel are you using?

AFAIK I don't have a second PS/2 device.  My laptop (HP Pavilion XH136)
has some one-touch keys above the keyboard.  I haven't been able to get
any keycodes from them using xev.  After reading your comment I thought
that they might use the mouse PS/2 interface, but I don't get any gpm
output when I press them.  Nothing is attached to external PS/2 connector
(there is only one).

After I bumped the usleep argument to 1 second (1000000ms) it takes longer
before I get the "Unrecognized Synaptic PS/2 Touchpad packet" message.
However I always eventually get them.

I'm using the stock 2.4.7 kernel shipped with RedHat 7.2.  I've tried
upgrading to a newer kernel, but PCMCIA always quits working when I do.

> >   o Inability to use the middle mouse button without using another
> >     button first.  There is no additional debug output when the
> >     debug options are defined.
>
> All the time or only the first time after stating gpm? (ok, I dont
> have a clue what causes this)

Only the first time after starting gpm.  After I press the left or right
button or move the cursor the middle buttons work each time.

--
Richard Griswold - griswold@acm.org

There are only 10 types of people who understand binary -
  those who do and those who don't