[gpm]Re: new release

Nico Schottelius nicos-mutt@pcsystems.de
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 21:14:26 +0100

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 07:28:51PM +0100 Petr Baudis put his fingers on the keyboard an wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Dear diary, on Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 03:47:36PM CET, I got a letter, where Nico
> Schottelius <nicos@pcsystems.de> told me, that...
> > Please test this release, I aim to release 1.20.0-beta in about 2 weeks,
> > alpha in about 4 weeks and the final version in about 6 weeks.
>
> Kind of funny releases marking. I think that usage of prereleases (1.20.0preX)
> and/or possibly release candidates (1.20.0rcX) is much more common in the
> linux/unix world.

This is true.

> And if using greek alphabet, the direction is normally
> reversed - alpha->beta[->gamma].

I re-reversed it, because I want to count-down to alpha and then
release it. In my opinion 'alphas' are the most perfect developments,
whereas 'betas', 'gammas' and 'deltas' need to improve.

Just took this idea from the story "Brave New World".

> Not that I would want to talk you to it,

Too late ?

> just happen to think using some existing and commonly known notation would be
> possibly less confusing and more obvious.

This release is just available for the people in the list and some friends
of mine. And those people know that this is not the final release I intend
to release soon.

Thank you for the information.

Nico

--
{Greetings,Gruss},
Nico Schottelius

I am some kind of busy -
Do not expect an answer within 24 hours.
Instead use the telephon: +49 (0) 173 - 750 7022.