[gpm]another bug in libgpm: doesn't work on linux VC

Ivan Zakharyaschev imz@altlinux.org
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:44:51 +0400 (MSD)

	Hello!

The latest libgpm (1.20.1rc1) doesn't work by me anywhere except for
xterm. I have already wriiten about the problems with Eterm. The same
garbage error messages appear also when working in a linux VC with
mouse-enabled programs like mc or GNU Emacs.

There is a check (done when TERM is not "xterm") that compares some
string with "/dev/console", which always fails (the terminal you work
with will never be /dev/console in most systems, except when yopu are in
single mode or alike).

Steps To Reproduce:

login into a linux VC, start mc, try to do smth with the mouse. It
doesn't react upon mouse actions.

The same thing in GNU Emacs started in a VC (then it uses the
gpm-supplied lisp code). There, you are able to see the error messages
printed by libgpm (in '*Messages*' buffer): they very similar to those
printed in Eterm+mc (my previous reported bug).