[gpm]using 2 mice (serial and ps2) with X

Alessandro Rubini rubini@gnu.org
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 20:11:47 +0200

Hello.

> I have a problem using 2 mice.  The serial mouse is the right speed for me
> under X and console, but the ps2 mouse is too slow under X but is fine at
> the console (I set the resolution up for the ps2 mouse with gpm)

This is because mouse packets are repeated before any parameters are applied.

Actually, resolution works just by scaling input pixels. This is fine
on the console, where each char-cell is several pixels wide
anyways. The same technique won't work in a graphic display where you
have single-pixel resolution.

You should rise the sample rate of your ps2 device by using specific
options in X. Note that with X 4.0 setting up two core pointers is
really easy, so you might just stop using the gpm repeater.  As a
matter of facts, repeating is not going to be the default any more
when multiple mice are used.  But I'm not closely following gpm
development any more.

/alessandro