[gpm]Synaptics patch 7

Peter Berg Larsen pebl@math.ku.dk
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 20:13:41 +0200 (MET DST)

On 4 Jun 2002, Troy Schultz wrote:

> With patch7 I get the following;
> - Press UP directtion, window scrolls up only once(approx 5 lines), does
> not continue to scoll, subsequent UP presses do nothing

I will look at. I was aware that the imlementation of what I
wanted had this effect if I wasnt carefull. And apperently I wasnt (and
I cant test it).

> When using 4-way as mouse, operation is fine(same as patch5).  Action is
> repeated when held down until released or after approx. 2 second
> timeout.
>
> In patch5 the scrolling continued when I hold down the button (UP/DOWN)
> with a timeout of approx. 2 seconds.

Yes, it is the synaptics that stops sending packets after some time if the
packets are identically. I have wished for a "give me more packets"
function in the synaptics because of this problem. The solution is to make
timer interrupts, so a repeated report continue to be reported. Usually
nobody notices this problem with the touchpad because nobody keeps their
finger that still.

> Is there something I have not configured properly, or is this a problem
> with the new patch?

It is (very likely) a problem in the patch. The reason for changing it was
that it is now possible to configure the buttons, and in the feature to
configure every button to whatever action.

There might go a day or two, because right now I am trying to dissamble
the windows drivers to get an idea of what it is doing. (without knowing
intel intructionset and windows api). Not one program allowed me to
monitor the ps port (efficiently).

Peter
--
E-Mail:       pebl@math.ku.dk