[gpm]Touchpads

Nico Schottelius nicos@pcsystems.de
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:44:09 +0100

Alessandro Rubini wrote:

> > I would suggest that every driver have an additional functioncall
> > that reset that device to normal state (if it has one), which is
> > called when gpm stops.
>
> That's a good idea. And since the mouse type is becoming complex, I'd
> also switch to tagged-initialization for the data structure instead of
> listing fields as it is done now. Since gpm is only compiled with gcc
> I don't see anything bad in that change. But again, I'll let the
> maintainer speak.

I first thought this would be a great idea, too.
Now I think we should not do that.
Think of the following:
I run gpm with synps2 exit and reboot to windows.
Windows will work fine with synps2, too.
Getting back to Linux gpm's ps2 nor X will run anymore.
Why ? Because other programs didn't do the homework
we want to do now.
The problem is, we cannot think the device is initialized and reseted
fine by programs before.
So I think the better solution is a reset in the initialization
(like it is done right now).

Btw, I am currently trying to get contact with Xfree's mouse maintainer
(who seems to be more busy than me :) , so that we can merge both
work downto one tree, like gpm is the only mouse driver and
Xfree copies the work from us.

> > Secondly how would I tell gpm that there are two different
> > mice/protocols on the same device?
>
> It's not supported.

And as Alessandro argumented, it would not be very senseful.

Nico

--
Nico Schottelius

Sorry for delayed messages. The backlog is getting smaller!
It's less then 50 mails currently!

Please send your messages pgp-signed or pgp-encrypted.
If you don't know what pgp is visit www.gnupg.org.
(public pgp key: ftp.schottelius.org/pub/familiy/nico/pgp-key)