[gpm]Touchpads

Alessandro Rubini rubini@gnu.org
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:10:06 +0100

>> That's a good idea. And since the mouse type is becoming complex, I'd
>> also switch to tagged-initialization for the data structure instead of
>> listing fields as it is done now.

> I first thought this would be a great idea, too.
> Now I think we should not do that.

I mean:

Gpm_Type mice[]={
  {
	name: "mman",
	desc: "The \"MouseMan\" and similar devices (3/4 bytes per packet).",
	synonyms: "Mouseman",
	fun: M_mman,
	init: I_serial,
[...]

  }
};

This is tagged initialization.

> Btw, I am currently trying to get contact with Xfree's mouse maintainer
> (who seems to be more busy than me :) , so that we can merge both
> work downto one tree, like gpm is the only mouse driver and
> Xfree copies the work from us.

Please don't do that.

We have no resources, and X runs on many more platforms than gpm
does. Moreover, the X input mechanism is much more advanced than what
we have, so what you propose is technically undoable.

/alessandro