[gpm]Touchpads

Nico Schottelius nicos-mutt@pcsystems.de
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:05:04 +0000

--WChQLJJJfbwij+9x

Peter Berg Larsen [Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 03:55:31AM +0100]:
[...]=20
> > I first thought this would be a great idea, too.
> > Now I think we should not do that.
> > Think of the following:
> > I run gpm with synps2 exit and reboot to windows.
> > Windows will work fine with synps2, too.
> > Getting back to Linux gpm's ps2 nor X will run anymore.
> > Why ? Because other programs didn't do the homework
> > we want to do now.
> > The problem is, we cannot think the device is initialized and reseted
> > fine by programs before.
> > So I think the better solution is a reset in the initialization
> > (like it is done right now).
>=20
> First of all a reboot will reset the touchpad to relative mode (ps2) so
> rebooting from or to windows will not change matter (if I read STIG page
> 17 correct 1)).

I never read STIG. I have the acer tm 524 and the fact is, after a warm boo=
t,
the touchpad is not reseted correctly. Using X with ps2 is broken.
Using gpm-1.20.0 works, because of the new init function.=20
So currently i looks like
  =20
   Win->gpm->X.

As you see, there is X less experienced with and has problems, that was one
of the reaons I would like to join the work.
I think whenever a driver is added to X, we should also be able to use it.
(and vice versa)

> Secondly it seems that we are not talking about the same
> thing here. Reseting the touchpad at startup will not change anything, as
> the initialization (to absolute mode) is the same no matter which state
> the touchpad is in.

Yes.

> What matter is that when gpm quits the touchpad is
> still in absolute mode, which would break any mousereading program that is
> not touchpad aware.

That's true, that's a problem. But what mouse reading programs really exist
and are used if not gpm or X ?
And those both should be able to work with a touchpad in absolut mode!

Btw, after running gpm with synps2, X is not capable of changing back to
ps2...

Nico

--=20
Nico Schottelius

Please send your messages pgp-signed or pgp-encrypted.
If you don't know what pgp is visit www.gnupg.org.
(public pgp key: ftp.schottelius.org/pub/familiy/nico/pgp-key)

--WChQLJJJfbwij+9x

--WChQLJJJfbwij+9x--