[gpm]Touchpads

Peter Berg Larsen pebl@math.ku.dk
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 02:08:48 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Nico Schottelius wrote:

> > > The problem is, we cannot think the device is initialized and reseted
> > > fine by programs before.
> > > So I think the better solution is a reset in the initialization
> > First of all a reboot will reset the touchpad to relative mode (ps2) so
> > rebooting from or to windows will not change matter (if I read STIG page
> > 17 correct 1)).
> I never read STIG. I have the acer tm 524 and the fact is, after a warm boot,
> the touchpad is not reseted correctly. Using X with ps2 is broken.
> Using gpm-1.20.0 works, because of the new init function.

Okay (different people have complained about the same thing, so I take it
as it is not just your machine.).

> So currently i looks like
>
>    Win->gpm->X.
>
> As you see, there is X less experienced with and has problems,

You lost me here.

> > What matter is that when gpm quits the touchpad is
> > still in absolute mode, which would break any mousereading program that is
> > not touchpad aware.
>
> That's true, that's a problem. But what mouse reading programs really exist
> and are used if not gpm or X ?

This is not an excuse for not the reseting it. (I often want(ed) to test
ps2 in compare to how synps2 behaved)

> Btw, after running gpm with synps2, X is not capable of changing back to
> ps2...

No, because neither programs resets the synaptics.

ps.
I am going to look futher into the code as I just experiented something
funny after starting and stopping the synaptics. The keyboard updates
slower and the mouse/cursor jitters when I press some keys.

Peter
--
E-Mail:       pebl@math.ku.dk
Real name:    Peter Berg Larsen