[gpm]Monitoring Windows communication

Andreas Mohr andi@rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri, 31 May 2002 18:16:39 +0200

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 04:43:42PM +0200, Peter Berg Larsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do anyone knows how to communicate to the styk (synaptics stick) attached
> to some synaptics touchpads? The reason is that it supports click on
> pressure and it is not on per default. Secondly when I reboot from my
> windows partion to linux, it seems to go bananaz and sends me random
> packets of (left) clicks which is rather anoying.
>
> There is no mentioning on how anywhere on synaptics howmpage or
> documentations. However if I read the documentations correct it seems that
> there is a special encoding that allows me to talk to the styk instead of
> the touchpad. After several mails to synaptics whitout answares I am
> looking for another way.
>
> So whitout knowning how to set or read settings for the styk I started a
> brute force try: Coded a simple simulated touchpad and compared different
> request to the hardware and the simulated touchpad. After ca. 7000000
> requests with each request having 6 commands I give up, and looks for
> another way.
>
> Now I want to lesson in on what happens between the windows driver and my
> hardware. This is easy if it were on the serial port, but I havent seen
> one program that do this for my ps2 port. (Wine is not an option; I have
> tried. Wine is too simple yet). So does anyone have a suggestion what to
> do?
I don't think "Wine is too simple yet" is correct.
Wine will never (?) support VxDs (it's simply not possible),
and I guess this is a VxD issue...

You could try to get something via VMWare (that seems to work pretty well
in some cases) or maybe try the VxD monitor from www.sysinternals.com
(not sure whether that'd be able to help, though...)

Andreas Mohr, Wine developer ;-)