[gpm]Help : How to get back gpmctl ?

Alessandro Rubini rubini@gnu.org
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:53:24 +0100

> To: gpm@prosa.it

The current gpm list is gpm@lists.linux.it. But Prosa kindly kept an
alias to forward messages so this arrived anyways.

> I lost my /dev/gpmctl control socket during a dump-restore operation.

The socket is recreated when gpm invokes bind().

> 	localhost gpm[827]: /dev/mouse: No such device

What you are missing is /dev/mouse. Actually, such a message hits
to an existing device file with no associated driver. Unless it
doesn't use errno (which would be a bug).

Unfortunately, I can't find gpm_oops() in gpm-1.20.0 and you don't even
tell what version are you using.

But you probably didn't want to look for /dev/mouse (the defualt),
but for a specific device. Your problem, thus, is that your lost
your configuration.

> At shutdown-time, I get the message :
> 	stopping console mouse services : failed

there is no gpm running, so it can't be killed.

> either - it still complains that it cannot find the /dev/mouse file.

"No such device" doesn't mean "cannot find". Please look for
ENODEV in the open(2) man page.

/alessandro, not the gpm maintainer any more