[gpm]Help : How to get back gpmctl ?

manish jain emax@datainfosys.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 02:37:53 +0530

25 Nov, 02

I lost my /dev/gpmctl control socket during a dump-restore operation. I now
get the following messages at boot-time :

	localhost gpm: gpm startup succeeded
	localhost gpm[827]: oops() invoked from gpm.c(978)
	localhost gpm[827]: /dev/mouse: No such device

At shutdown-time, I get the message :

	stopping console mouse services : failed

I tried creating /dev/mouse through MAKEDEV, but MAKEDEV creates mouse,
mouse0 ... at /dev/input. No mouse device file is created in /dev. I then
tried 'ln -s /dev/input/mouse /dev/mouse', but gpm is not happy with this
either - it still complains that it cannot find the /dev/mouse file.

Equally importantly, the gpmctl socket is missing. How do I restore the
socket ?

Can anyone please help me out ?

Thanks.

Manish Jain