CONFIG_DEBUG_USER

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Thu Apr 1 22:50:42 CEST 2004

Dear all,

I installed clisp, and it uses mmap/mprotect/signal for its GC.
Which means that segfaults happen as a NORMAL thing during computations.
Yet, everytime the process generated a segfault,
the kernel was showing the registers on the console,
which was slowing things down considerably
(yet after some non-negligible time, dpkg-reconfigure clisp was done).
I traced the behaviour back to option CONFIG_DEBUG_USER being enabled,
which I removed in the default jornada820 configuration.

"[U]n anarchiste est un libéral intransigeant." -- Emile Faguet
An anarchist is an uncomprimising liberal. -- Emile Faguet