Distribution

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Mon Feb 9 03:58:23 CET 2004

To those of you who can afford:
* you can get 2GB Type II CompactFlash microdrives
 for EUR 199 on retail in Europe.
* for a bit over EUR 200, you can find a 40GB Type II PCMCIA harddisk
 from Toshiba: the MK-4004GAH. (But then, you'll have to get networking
 through CF, USB or serial.)

With a hard-disk, we can have swap, which alleviates the problem with
dirth of RAM, and we can install a pretty standard debian
without having to think hard about squeezing things up.

I hesitate which I'll get, but I'll definitely get either.
(Mind that the 2GB thing already draws more power than flash memory,
and that the 40GB must draw even more power.)

Also, another solution could be USB storage, if the USB support gets added.

Cheers!

The Philosophy of Liberty, or Libertarianism, is a Philosophy of Law; it is
an ethics of Liberty and Responsibility; it is a cybernetics of Human Action;
it is the only authentically subversive ideology.