Distribution / USB Host / Status ???

Hasjim Williams jornada820@lists.futaris.org
Wed Feb 11 04:10:58 CET 2004

Francois,

The MK-4004GAH is NOT a PCMCIA Hard Disk.  It has an ATA-3/4/5 interface,
and is used in devices like the iPod.  The pinout is not the same as a
PCMCIA slot.  I suppose a small cable could be made up, if you were
REALLY inclined, but it wouldn't be elegant.  However, you can get a 2GB
or a 5GB PCMCIA hard disk from toshiba.

See
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=/818200000007000000010000659800000001/81820000010d000000010000659c000003b7
for more information.

The Type II Compactflash Microdrives are probably a better buy, unless
you can get a PCMCIA drive off eBay cheaply.

My Jornada 820 has no problems running with 2GB PCMCIA Toshiba Hard Disk.
 I haven't done any power tests etc yet, as I only recently repaired the
connector from the LCD to the mainboard.  It had become intermittent and
needed to be fluxed and retinned/soldered.  However, the Jornada 820
seems to be running fine at the moment.  I will try booting the latest
Jornada 820 patch / kernel, soon...

Has anyone started on USB yet?  If not, I am happy to put my kernel
hacking abilities to use, as I have dealt with some embedded USB host
controllers before.  I think the SA-1101 USB host controller should just
be a simple backport of the SA-1111 host controller.  I already have a
USB mouse, USB-IDE adapter, USB mass-storage pen / SD reader and a USB
keyboard to test with.  If George or someone has a partial patch going,
then perhaps I can help???

Oleg, you mentioned something about needing a DMA API?

Also, what is the status of power management, VGA output, etc?

Thanks for hacking the Jornada 820, George.  Hopefully we can have a 100%
functional kernel running soon.

Hasjim