Jornada820 Digest, Vol 4, Issue 25

Oleg Gusev oleg@usm.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Feb 24 11:37:22 CET 2004

> In time, I will do it. I believe that right now we have more
> urgent things to do.

I can't disagree, but i want that the people who write
new drivers (usb,vga,etc.) keep modularization in mind,
which is
1. The right thing(tm).
  Look at `find . -name ucb1\*` in the kernel tree
  and watch how everybody has written the driver
  once again for his priceless board.
2. Makes the move to 2.6 easier
3. Helps to populate /lib/modules/* on the
    ramdisk.

Thanks for pointing me to the pcmcia power problem,
i have oversimplified the things.
We have three (well, 4) non-generic files now:
init.S, jornada820.c, pcmcia/sa1101_jornada820.c and
powerd-jornada820.c. The last one should export the
apm interface, like apm.c, and provide the rest to
/proc/drivers/j820-powerd/*
The backup battery driver will be j820 specific too,
and whatever is on the UCB1200 GPIO pins.
I still don't understand how to control brightness/
black level/backlight portably. How do ipaq people
do that ? Though they are not an example of doing things
portable. How is the VGA monitor controlled via USB,
or is it also unsupported in Linux ? Somebody should
enlighten me :)

 Oleg.