j820 2.6 kernel tree

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Thu Jun 24 22:59:19 CEST 2004

Dear j820ers,

I've done a lot of grunt work of moving files
from the 2.4 port to a prospective 2.6 port.
However, I stopped when I reached several non-trivial issues,
that involve migrating existing code from an old API to a newer one,
which requires to build quite some understanding of the underlying issues.

(1) the IRQ model has changed completely, so that sa1101.c must be redone.
	See Documentation/arm/Interrupts
(2) the pcmcia has also changed substantially
(3) the keyboard/mouse ps2 support has been split
and of course, other subtler changes may have evaded me.

I've added a TODO file to the CVS hierarchy as a notepad for such issues.
I've also added a script "please" to automate common tasks while porting.

I have no time to tackle these issues now, so I leave them to keener hackers.
Note that these changes are also as many promises of more
stability/features/devices when the port is done.

Conclusion: kernel 2.6 doesn't compile for now, and requires clever hacking.
I've done boring grunt stuff -- come on and do the challenging stuff!

Happy hacking!

Our system is defined to prevent majority politicians from overtly oppressing
minorities. However, our system is also overtly defined to let majorities
elect majority politicians and not let minorities wield electoral power.
Kinda funny... one part of our constitution tries to fix a problem which
the other half of the constitution tries to create!
	-- Lee Salzman <eihrul@tunes.org>, about the US political system.