More j820 breakage.

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Sat Mar 27 01:35:38 CET 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 09:11:37PM +0100, Oleg Gusev wrote:
>    i am at a conference right now and can't write long e-mails
>   and have actually no time.
Thanks a lot for replying!

>   Francois: i use the 3.3.2 arm-linux-gcc-* toolchain from
>   handhelds.org.
Sigh. I'll try again with it later...

>> I can't compile busybox with the 2.95.3 toolchain from handhelds.org. Sigh.
> Works here (tm).
route and hdparm fail here. Will try more later.

>> But the resulting cardmgr (compiled with 3.3.2) doesn't look like it works,
> Yes, i have written about it long time ago. Copy cardmgr from the
> ramdisk made by George.
If your previous issue was about static linking, I solved it.
Actually, using an old ramdisk with the CVS kernel, pcmcia still fails.

> It should be there. Add the second static entry at 0xd000000, like
> we do for the first one.
Yes, that works; problem being that unless we can autodetect,
we can't have a one kernel to distribute.

>> I suppose it isn't legit to peek and poke at addresses where there is no RAM.
> This is a fault inside the kernel and i don't know how it will handle it.
OK. How else are we meant to detect it?
I'm playing with an autodetect routine in init.S; we'll see how well it works.

I got ATAGs working in init.S, which makes for an empty fixup_jornada820().

Question: if I use a compressed initrd, linux autodetects it properly,
but then seems to be reserving 7000-odd KiB instead of 3072 KiB
for the ramdisk...

>> Oleg: can you post the code you used to find out about RAM banks 0, 1, 2, 3?
> That will not help you,
It will help me make sure by myself that it won't help me :-)

> Use hpcbootm.exe. I have put the bootloader, kernel and rootfs binaries
> to oleg/ subdirectory on the jornada820.sf.net website.
Can you put a working 16MB zImage, too, so I may test my toolchain
from a working one? (Same question to George or Dave or anyone.)

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all
		-- George Bernard Shaw