release ?

Francois-Rene Rideau fare@tunes.org
Sun May 9 01:17:44 CEST 2004

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 12:54:43AM +0200, Oleg Gusev wrote:
>  What is needed for a 0.0.1 release ?
We could pretty much release now.

>   we have 4 areas:
>  1. bootloader.
>      I don't like it, but it works.
It works. 'nough said.

>  2. kernel
>      .config is the main issue. What should we compile in, what as a module?
Dunno. I'm kind of satisfied with the current setup, except for the way
apm and debian scripts interact (BAD).

Also, what about these subtle PCMCIA issues?
* I think my tinydrive was overheating because of voltage issues
 from before your PCMCIA patches.
* without my reverting part of your patch wrt inverting voltage bits
 on Socket 0, my NIC doesn't work. Should I commit my patch,
 or does it break anything for you?

>  3. ramdisk
>      I'm not qualified to say a lot here.
When I'm done cleaning up what I'm doing, should be fairly stable,
unless we also want to include mkfs.ext2 and fsck.ext2.

>  4. rootfs
>      The working setup is zaurus initrd.tar.gz + some debian packages +
>      some patches in the config files.
My own setup was starting from the zaurus-debian big image
and installing lots of stuff on top. It requires a 512MB CF or bigger,
plus a NFS server for extra stuff (docs, /var/lib/dpkg, etc.)
and isn't stable yet (biggest issue being kapmd), and I haven't tested X
(what server do you use? can you post configuration files?),
so it isn't a good idea for a release.

Other options:
* some zaurus image
* some jornada720 or iPAQ image
* familiar
* uclibc rootfs plus other stuff
* etc.

>   Comments ?
I'm all for releasing a bootimage next week.
As for rootfs, I am not ready, but if you are, way to go!

<hcf> information we gather and create overflows our means of managing it
<hcf> our ppl r only happenstancely synergistic