Not much progress

Matan Ziv-Av matan@svgalib.org
Mon Sep 13 21:16:42 CEST 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Oleg Gusev wrote:

> > I can report a complete lack of success with the 2.6 kernel.
> > Although it boots up, all I see are lots of debug-style messages, then
> > "waiting for event", but no login, and nothing else useful. Since I know
> > little about the status of 2.6 or what it is supposed to be able to do, I
> > can't use it.
>
> Nobody can really _use_ it because the PCMCIA controller is not
> working properly and therefore you can't mount the root filesystem.

PCMCIA appears to work for me in 2.6 (cf memory card and a network card
tested). You can see in the patch (relative to a clean 2.6.7):
http://www.arava.co.il/matan/jornada820/2.6.7-my4.gz

> >I have also had an unfortunate mechanical experience, viz:
> > one of the flimsy little screws that attach the screen has busted! It has
> > been completely ripped out of the case. I did the only logical thing and
> > quickly removed the hinge screw from the other side, so I now have a
> > jornada with a floating screen, there is only the ribbon cable "holding" it
> > together. Examination shows just how flimsy the hinges are: there is a
> > single screw point for each hinge, and each hinge sits inside an equally
> > flimsy plastic "tube", each tube consists of two "half-pipe" sections,
> > which appear to be simply squashed together. No wonder the bloody thing
> > broke.
>
> Blame HP for the stupid LCD mechanical design. I have a big crack on the
> cover itself, and there is no way to adjust the tension of the screws.

The Jornada I got has one hinge broken, but the other hinge seems to
handle OK.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         matan@svgalib.org