n00b question

Stanley Kardach kardaszon@poczta.onet.pl
Wed Feb 2 09:31:15 CET 2005

I've finally found some time to make my j820 more "usable" ;P.
I've divided my CF to 3 partitions (fat,swap,ext2) and after booting from
Fare's kernel, that you can actually get from the site. After succesfull
boot, ive copied all the root fs to the CF, and configured the network (in
network.opts,resolv.conv) i've chrooted, tried to ping my nameserver
and...nothing...100% of packages lost. I've checked PCMCIA module, it's good
(i have 3COM 3C589D pcmcia, and i uce 3c589_cs module), then i've compared my
j820 ifconfig output with PC's one and the diference is in  HWaddr. On j820 I
have 00:00:00:00:00:00 and on PC i have 00:C0:26:B0:02:E0. I've read in
ifconfig man, that setting HWaddr is possible if device driver supports it.
But 3c589 is so popular #COM's card that i really don't belive it doesn't. I
also did "cardctl config 0" and got this:

  Vcc 5.0V  Vpp1 0.0V  Vpp2 0.0V
  interface type is "memory and I/O"
  irq 106 [exclusive] [level]
  function 0:
    config base 0x10000
      option 0x41 status 0x00
    io 0xc1850300-0xc185030f [16bit]

Here are some of my other outputs:
"cardctl info 0"

PRODID_1="3Com Corporation"
PRODID_2="3C589D"
PRODID_3="TP/BNC LAN Card Ver. 2a"
PRODID_4="000002"
MANFID=0101,0589
FUNCID=6

"ifconfig"

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
          inet addr:192.168.1.4  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:7 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:106 Base address:0x300

"/etc/pcmcia/network.opts"

# Network adapter configuration
#
# The address format is "scheme,socket,instance,hwaddr".
#
# Note: the "network address" here is NOT the same as the IP address.
# See the Networking HOWTO.  In short, the network address is the IP
# address masked by the netmask.
#
case "$ADDRESS" in
*,*,*,*)
    INFO="Sample private network setup"
    # Transceiver selection, for some cards -- see 'man ifport'
    IF_PORT=""
    # Use BOOTP (via /sbin/bootpc, or /sbin/pump)? [y/n]
    BOOTP="n"
    # Use DHCP (via /sbin/dhcpcd, /sbin/dhclient, or /sbin/pump)? [y/n]
    DHCP="n"
    # If you need to explicitly specify a hostname for DHCP requests
    DHCP_HOSTNAME="192.168.1.1"
    # Host's IP address, netmask, network address, broadcast address
    IPADDR="192.168.1.4"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
    NETWORK="192.168.1.0"
    BROADCAST="192.168.1.255"
    # Gateway address for static routing
    GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"
    # Things to add to /etc/resolv.conf for this interface
    DOMAIN=""
    SEARCH="192.168.1.1"
    DNS_1="192.168.1.1"
    DNS_2=""
    DNS_3=""
    # NFS mounts, should be listed in /etc/fstab
    MOUNTS=""
    # If you need to override the interface's MTU...
    MTU=""
    # For IPX interfaces, the frame type and network number
    IPX_FRAME=""
    IPX_NETNUM=""
    # Extra stuff to do after setting up the interface
    start_fn () { return; }
    # Extra stuff to do before shutting down the interface
    stop_fn () { return; }
    # Card eject policy options
    NO_CHECK=n
    NO_FUSER=y
    ;;
esac

I got used to my old good debian configuration, with ncurses dialog and
all...and now i can't configure that stupid PCMCIA >.<
mayby (for sure) i've done something wrong, somewhere. As you can see i'm
bahind the router. It's simple standalone router box. The funniest thing is
that with the same IP,gateway,network,mask and broadcast numbers i work on my
PC, and there are no problems. I just want to get it working from scratch, so
i can download packages directly to j820 and make user environment (that's
the one word I will never spell correct ;P) that fits my needs
(emacs,links2,sendmail (that's another pain in the ass to configure
>.<),pdf2txt mayby,mc, X to try make it running >.>)

ths in advance i hope someone can help me
Stanley Kardach