Running X

Stanley Kardach kardaszon@poczta.onet.pl
Mon Feb 28 22:50:22 CET 2005

OK this is how i got X running. It's a very nasty way, but it works, and i
can run freeciv.
First of all i've copied kernel from sf.net site to FAT partition, and
Oleg's tar to ext2 part. then done the same with PocketWorkstation tgz
(from http://pocketworkstation.org/files/). I did it because Pocket
Workstation tgz had working dpkg (Oleg's old tar doesn't ;P) and Oleg's
tar had XFbdev already installed (i know that kind of workaround really
sucks, I will have to get qemu running on my PC and make some good clean
rootfs, but now i'm too lazy/have too much work/have to learn [choose most
suitable for you ;P]). Back to the topic. After unpacking whole stuff i've
checked if XF86config from Oleg's tar is present on rootfs, i booted with
noautomount,unpacked modules,chrooted,changed root passwd, made new
user,exited chroot,invoked rootfs function,ran update-modules,started
devfsd. Now comes the X part. you need to put ucb1.00-ts module into
kernel, make sure that there is /dev/ts file (if not then symlink it to
/dev/touchscreen/ucb1x00). after that all should work. just do the startx
and X window will come up. Ow btw. if you startx from mc you will have
normal colors, if you will do it from console, you won't...nice isn't it?
>.<

I will post screenshots tomorrow, now i'm kinda sleepy and tomorow i have
to wake very early...*yawn*

Stanley