usb status

Faré fahree@gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 00:42:22 CEST 2005

On 7/26/05, Hodges, Mitch <Mitch.Hodges@delta.com> wrote:
> Not sure this is applicable here, but even under Pocket PC, the USB port was
> very limited, and only supported very specific devices, such as a mouse.

That's because they don't have the required drivers in ROM, and nobody
cared to develop WinCE 2.1 drivers for every possible new device. And
that's why we want to merge our source with the latest linux kernel,
so as to support as many usb or pcmcia device as are available (within
the limitations of the hardware, which is usb 1.1 and 16-bit pccard).

>>> hub.c: new USB device <NULL>-1, assigned address 5
>> The NULL here looks wrong, and might lead us to the cause of that.
And lead us to the bug it did: after further inspection of the
sources, it appears that there were substantial changes in the
upstream code, but that generated no warning because ***some stupid
developer decided he'd put function declarations in each client source
code instead of in a header file***. It was no use duplicating th
sa1111 driver, since it itself was broken by same change. Sigh. So we
should try to mimick more closely the pci driver.

> By the way, thanks much for your work here.  I have a personal interest in
> doing the same thing you are doing, but don't have the Linux experience to
> accomplish on my own.  I'm learning a lot!  Thanks for sharing.
Well, if you can't help with kernel development, you can still help a
lot with userland configuration. There's a lot to streamline, there.
If you're willing to do that, you can help streamline the debian
script mkxdeb, or dig into openembedded or gentoo-arm, etc. And then
devise a way to automate the creation of installations *that include
our j820-specific configuration*. And finally, post .tar.bz2 archives
of minimal preinstalled things, and include expansion of such archives
in the standard functions of the bootdisk (which must be manually
invoked by the user).

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
In the first, it is ridiculed.
In the second, it is opposed.
In the third, it is regarded as self-evident.
	-- Arthur Schopenhauer, 19th century German philosopher