screenshots ;-)

Tim Roberts timr@probo.com
Tue Mar 1 18:11:37 CET 2005

Stanley Kardach wrote:

>ok here are some screenshots (well actually these are photo taken by my
>digital camera), that show freeciv running with xaw3d client, and the
>funny effects it gives. Look at the mouse cursor. When it's inside freeciv
>window, the game colors are ok and the rest is messed, when it's outside
>then game colors are messed and rest is ok.

That's not uncommon on an 8-bit PseudoColor display.  When one
application steals all of the colormap entries, the rest of the desktop
is forced to suffer with inferior color rendering.

As an experiment, you could try adding
   Visual "DirectColor"
or
   Visual "TrueColor"
to the "Display" subsection of your XF86Config file.  That forces it to
use a 3:3:2 colormap which makes ALL applications look equally bad.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.