[LTP] [RFC] Define minimal supported kernel and (g)libc version

Li Wang liwang@redhat.com
Sat Mar 14 09:01:45 CET 2020

Hi Petr,

This is a good topic, thanks for kicking off this initiative!

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 10:15 PM Petr Vorel <pvorel@suse.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry, I've raised this question in the past, but it got lost.
> I remember we talked about 2.6 something.

Yes, the past discussion is still valuable to us. see:
http://lists.linux.it/pipermail/ltp/2019-May/011990.html

> It'd be good to state publicly the oldest kernel and glibc (or even other
> libc
> versions) we support.  This would allow us to remove some legacy code or
> force
> support for legacy code.

Maybe we could also state the oldest GCC version too? Though I haven't seen
any conflict or supporting issue from my side, it helps avoid some
potential error in cross-compilation I guess.

    i.e.  kernel-3.10.0 / glibc-2.17 / gcc-4.8.0

> This shouldn't require test to be functional (e.g. for some cases like
> module
> drivers it could be hard), but LTP to be compiled and when
> difficult/impossible
> to achieve this functionality, it could resulted in TCONF (skipped test).

+1

--
Regards,
Li Wang