[LTP] [RFC] enable OOM protection for the library and test process?

Li Wang liwang@redhat.com
Mon Dec 13 11:18:45 CET 2021

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 5:32 PM Jan Stancek <jstancek@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 9:04 AM Li Wang <liwang@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > As we observed that oom tests occasionally ended with TBROK (Test
> killed) on small
> > RAM system, the reason seems test process(test_pid) get killed early
> than the expected
> > victim process so that can't report the status correctly.
> >
> > I'm thinking maybe we can purposely make the OOM ignore test
> process(test_pid)
> > and the main process? (achieve this only in mem library for OOM test)
>
> There are likely more processes that could become unintended targets
> (e.g. harness process)

Right, but I don't think that LTP has responsible to take care of harness
process.
(sometimes people even run LTP manually)

> (if we haven't tried already) Could we make expected victim process
> more appealing target by tweaking its oom_score/oom_score_adj ?

This might not be a good way.

Because OOM Killer counts the oom_score by itself algorithm for
choosing which process to kill. If we tweak that, it will interfere with
the scientificity of the OOM test. But if we only do protect the
lib-process,
we know that shouldn't be killed and the test will report correctly for us.

--
Regards,
Li Wang