[LTP] September LTP release

Li Wang liwang@redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 09:11:51 CEST 2022

On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 10:36 PM Petr Vorel <pvorel@suse.cz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> [ Cc automated-testing ML ]
>
> > Hi!
> > > Maye split this work into pieces? something like:
> > >     - announcement email,
> > >     - collecting patch lists for a new release,
> > >     - writing release notes, or paperwork,
> > >     - uploading tarballs
> > >     - pre-testing against different Linux distribution
>
> > > You can still send the announcement email, and other volunteers do the
> rest.
> > > (if applicable, I can take patch reviews or upload tarballs work)
>
> > I guess that would work too, as long as we have volunteers.
> I could do part of work as well. I volunteer to upload the tarballs.
> I also try to help with reviewing and testing pre release fixes.
> I usually do network tests changelog, which is tiny part of whole
> changelog.
>
> I try to do at least some of runtime tests on SLES and Tumbleweed, I
> suppose
> Martin helps with it as usually. Obviously more people should do
> pre-release
> testing.
>
> And in my non work time build testing on Buildroot (finds various build
> problems
> on other libc and generally the embedded world).

Well, if more than three people are involved in the release work,
I think that the release workflow should be arranged in time order,
otherwise, we're easily going to fall into chaos. e.g.

Assumption work starting from the second week of the release month:

1. Collecting the patch list for a new release, like this email does (Cyril)

2. Reviewing and merging the patch list of step1 (All maintainers,
LTP-users)

3. Pre-release widely testing, we need to explicitly post results in step1
email (Petr, Li Wang)

4. Tiny fix according to pre-release testing result (All maintainers, users)

5. Writing release note (Cyril)

6. Uploading tarballs (Petr)

7. Announcement email of LTP release (Cyril)

Does this look useful? or anything else?

IMO if any more volunteers hope to be involved, they just need
to pick up any step they are interested in.

--
Regards,
Li Wang