(fwd) Boot-floppies translation status

Lorenzo Cappelletti L.Cappelletti@mail.com
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:00:50 +0100

So che gi=E0 le risorse umane da dedicare alla traduzione sono oltremodo
insufficienti, ma qui ci sarebbe un lavoro, a mio avviso, importante per
attirare nuovi utenti verso Linux ed in particolare Debian.

Non =E8 che riusciamo ad organizzarci?  Chi se ne occupava prima?

----- Forwarded message from Claus Hindsgaul <claus_h@image.dk> -----

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 00:19:38 +0100
From: Claus Hindsgaul <claus_h@image.dk>
Subject: Boot-floppies translation status
To: Debian i18n List <debian-i18n@lists.debian.org>

Hi,

The release of Debian 3.0 is comming soon. I just checked the status of=20
translations of the boot-floppies. Quite a few languages are far from up to=
=20
date.

Below are the statistics from the .po-files of the dbootstrap program (the=
=20
menu driven Debian installation program)

Code     date           translated up-to-date strings (out of 769)
> ca      2001-10-15  774
> cs      2000-11-30  471
> da      2001-11-15   768
> de      2001-08-21  766
> eo      2000-12-19  484
> es      2000-11-30  663
> fi      2000-12-17  489
> fr      1999-03-21  450
> gl      2001-10-07  769
> hr      2001-09-01  680
> hu      2001-01-01  643
> it      1999-11-16  230
> ja      2001-10-29  568
> ko      2001-08-05  623
> pl      2001-05-17  526
> pt      2000-07-10  577
> ru      2001-11-14  529
> sk      ?               219
> sv      2001-10-22  766
> tr      2001-17-03  484
> zh      2001-01-15  488

Based on the numbers above, I would suggest removing sk and it immediatly=
=20
from the internationalised boot floppies in any case, since two thirds of t=
he=20
strings will appear in english anyway. (Or better, of course, update these=
=20
translations!!).
Even the ja and pl users must find it very messy to use the mixed language=
=20
interface, and prefer to go with the english one for now.

Regarding the syslinux boot screens, the translations of e.g. debian.txt on=
=20
the rescue floppy have only been touched by a few languages since the=20
original english one was edited at June 5., namlely:
sv, ko, de, gl and da.

The figure is even worse for the install manual. *No* languages but fr, de=
=20
and da have touched welcome.sgml since February!

I hope this can encourage other translators to update the support for their=
=20
languages. Some may simply have waited for the next release to come closer=
=20
before doing this. Well, it seems it is just around the corner now!

To get the latest boot-floppies from the CVS, (beware, it's 41 megabytes) d=
o:

   export CVSROOT=3D:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot
   cvs login
    ----  (You will be prompted for a password -- just hit `Enter'.)
   cvs update

You will find relevant information in the file README-Translators.

--=20
Claus Hindsgaul

--=20
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-i18n-request@lists.debian.org